Further to the issue I described two posts ago (Panopto 4.6 4.7 issue) we now know the following.
- Recordings made in 4.6 before 4.7 was released work on and off campus.
- Recordings made in 4.6 with smooth streaming off after 4.7 released cannot be viewed on campus but can be seen off campus
- Recordings made in 4.6 with smooth streaming on after 4.7 released can be viewed
- Recordings made in 4.7 are fine on and off campus.
We have also noticed that when you examine the “media type” (Settings>Manage>Media Type) of the recordings we cannot see on campus, they are always WMV and that recordings we can see are HLS or ISM.
This confirms what Graham Robinson (University of Southampton) said on the JISC Panopto list…
- “I would suspect that you are not running smooth streaming and are therefore using Windows Media Streaming Services for your pre 4.7 files. On campus it might be trying to do some kind of passthrough of AD / NTFS permissions which is not possible off campus. For me the issue was:
- Recordings made in 4.x when smooth streaming was off were not working (using WMS)
- Recordings made in 4.x after we switched smooth streaming were working (using IIS)”
We can fix our issue by opening non-working recordings in 4.7 and saving them and by ensuring all recordings made in 4.6 (until we get all the machines upgraded) use smooth streaming.
However, that is only a fix for the recordings we ourselves manage. We were trying to access some recordings from AberCast (University of Aberystwyth University) but cannot view these either. They open but sit there forever without loading properly. I am not sure this is related but the symptoms look the same.
We will continue to work with Panopto Support and our IT Services Dept on this and I record it here simply as an event in our trial.