This blog deals with the day to day stuff I do in my job.in the e-learning field but I suspect there will be a few main topics that will appear time and again. Digital Literacy is bound to be one of them.
I have been a computer user since 1982 (a Sinclair ZX Spectrum) and have been involved with computer enhanced learning since almost day one. What has always interested me is why some of my colleagues in education take to using computers easily while others don’t and the same goes for students. What I hope to discover through reflection in this blog are the answers to the following questions and I will use the terms in brackets as my blog categories.
- What are the measures of digital literacy? (Measures)
- What characteristics do the digital literate display that others don’t? (Characteristics)
- What are the barriers to becoming digitally literate? (Barriers)
- What studies are being undertaken into digital literacy? (Studies)
- What initiatives are being tried to increase digital literacy? (Initiatives)
- Who are the leading researchers/experts in the field of digital literacy? (Experts)
- What other questions should I be asking if I want to understand the topic?
Why blog it?
- The writing process helps me to unravel and make sense of what I read.
- Making my writing public may prompt others to make contact and share their own thoughts and knowledge.
So let’s see where this takes us over the next few months…